|Golden Forestry Services, Inc.
Ten Landowner tips for successful ownership, from Golden Forestry Services, Inc.
1. Paint your boundary lines every ten years. This is easily the best insurance policy for your
2. Know your neighbors and their goals. Your neighbors can be your best resource or your
biggest challenge. Pooled resources, shared costs and added security are just some benefits
that can be obtained.
3. Conduct a timber inventory and know your timber basis. This will save you money in the
long run. Most landowners who hire loggers directly, without forester representation, to "save
money", overlook this potentially huge money-saving item. Frequently, the tax savings exceed
4. Seek independent forester representation. A competent, independent, consulting forester
will work solely in your best interest. If you aren't paying the forester directly, who is and why?
Landowners make more money on a harvest when they utilize an independent consulting
forester, even after forester fees!
5. Keep and maintain a land management diary. Keep a written log of work performed, hours
spent, mileage, etc. These records will help with taxes down the road.
6. Monitor you land frequently. Next to clear boundary lines, this is a great insurance policy. If
you are from away, have a trusted companion or neighbor monitor your land for you.
7. Golden rule of thumb...at any point in your forest, stick out your thumb and turn 360 degrees.
If you count more than 15 trees that are wider than your thumb, then a timber assessment by a
professional forester is advised.
8. Think about fire management around structures. Create and maintain a natural fire buffer
between all structures and forestlands.
9. Check references!!! Every profession has bad apples, including forestry and logging. Call
your local Maine Forest Service representatives for reputable professionals. It should take less
than an hour of your time and save from headaches down the road.
10. Educate yourself. There are many good resources out there, including on the internet. See
the links below for a handful of them.
|Copyright © 2012, Golden Forestry Services, Inc.
PO Box 111, Orono, ME 04473 (207)356-8747
|PO Box 111
Orono, ME 04473